09 August 2008

Politics & Anger in Brevity

Okay, I know, I know, I haven't blogged in centuries. This is going to be a bit of a hodgepodge of ideas that are plaguing me, so bear with me. Oh, and enjoy.

So I'm a liberal. Not like you didn't know this, if you know me. But liberal or not, some things are just intolerable. I watched "No End in Sight" a few nights ago, a documentary about the Iraq war. It is very well done, lays out the facts and essentially reminds me that George W. Bush is one of the worst people we could have possibly put in office.

The sheer arrogance of his administration going into this astounds me. Despite all the information, experience and resources that weren't just available but were throwing themselves at Bush, he and his advisors did everything in their power ignore them and make consecutively poor decisions. Really, you ought to watch it; it blew my mind at how incapable our government is.

Naturally, I'm not a fan to begin with, but it is revolting how our President has blatantly (because subtly and grammar aren't exactly his forte) lied, manipulated, and cheated the american people, all for his own ends, whatever they might be. And I'm not just referring to Iraq, which has been a disaster from the get go and accomplished nothing but alienating the international community, destroying our economy, and pointlessly throwing away soldier's lives. I'm infuriated at every action he has taken in the last 8 years - from violating UN sanctions, wire tapping/spying on our own people, allowing torture, lying, supporting unconstitutional legislation, and general incompetence. It reminds me of those bumper stickers that read "If you're not angry, you're not paying attention."

The more I learn about this presidency's actions, the more irate I become. What is more horrific to me though, is that it seems like the large portion of Americans are indifferent to his misuse of power and exploitation of them. Like it doesn't affect you. The sad thing is it does, and anyone who doesn't realize their rights are being infringed upon and marginalized deserves what you get. You're a complete idiot if you're being duped by a president who isn't fit to run a retail outlet, let alone a country. There's no justification for his actions. I've been told that circumstances require some of the things he's done in light of 9-11. There's a quote by Benjamin Franklin which hits dead on, I think.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

In our modern politco world it seems like we've regressed. Visionaries such as Franklin are now few and far between, and at present not running or involved in our government. Who can blame them? We've subsidized our governing powers to corporate greed and religious zealots with big checkbooks.

Considering the election, I don't know how Obama will fair if elected, though its a sure bet better than Bush. And McCain... well that's like electing Bush for a third term. The last thing we need is a 70 year old Republican in the White House.

I look back on these last 8 years, and am grateful the end is in site. The current administration needs to go. Isn't it funny how the Christian Right (including the likes of oh-so-reputable-and-self-loathing Rev. Ted Haggard) threw so much weight behind this man? Well I've got news for them:

If Pres. Bush is God's choice for leading "His" nation, then God is one fucked up son-of-a-bitch that I have no desire to meet. I'll take hell, thank you very much.

7 comments:

Carla said...

Lots of good points. I'm not offended as you suspected I would be, I agree that Bush has made his fair share of mistakes on top of being a bumbling idiot. However, who ever said God endorses Bush? Doesn't the bible and b.o.m. say that America will basically be headed to hell in a hand basket in the last days. Ahhh getting religious on ya, anyhow, my final point is I don't think God is a S.O.B., nor does he endorse Bush, and for that matter I don't think he endorses t.v. evangelists either.

Petey said...

No, I know. I don't think God is either. My only point is that some of the more extreme christian groups have departed from the path of christianity. That's all. :)

Jiles The Great said...

Before I even finished reading your post I was thinking, "And this is EXACTLY why we cannot elect McCain." I truly think that Obama, despite his inexperience, is the better candidate...at least if we want to see our troops returned home anytime in the next millennia. There's my plug for the day.
As far as God picking or endorsing our presidents (crazy born again wackos...), well...from what I've learned in my short life, God just isn't that involved. It is what it is.

Anonymous said...

You son of a bitch. bush is the best

Fish Nat!on said...

J/k
that was me.
good points.

kajsia mccoy said...

You have such an eloquent way of stating the truth.

Em said...

As defiane ohio eloquently said:
"it is a paralyzing feeling to exchange your dreams for a sense of security, and one we are all akin to, and on a quasi political note, a feeling that any organized government banks on every day and night...i guess to sum it up, lets not be afraid of that which we love most, for that could be the greatest defeat of all."

It's amazing how fast people are willing to give up other people's basic human rights (such as not being subjected to torture, the right to privacy, the right to marry)in exchange for a false sense of security. It's not moral to voluntarily give away other's freedom and it's naive to believe that you're not giving away your own when you do.

Wait, whose blog is this? Oh am I still on yours, not mine? Maybe I'll stop my rampage. Good post.