18 September 2009

Tokyo o kudasai.

A bit of Tokyo love (because I loved Tokyo) for you:


Countryside on my bullet train ride. Most of Japan that you're actually in is nothing like this. It's jam packed as far as the eye can see with buildings.



The Imperial Palace Gardens. Seriously beautiful.



I could not find a picture that encapsulates Japan more. Everything about this country is a hybrid, and this picture showcases that. Taken from the the Imperial Palace walls, smack dab in the middle of Tokyo, and surrounded by high rises, it is old meets new.



There, this is more like what I saw, most of the time. Akihabara, the technology district of Tokyo.



Akihabara at night. More specifically, Yodabashi Camera, a ridiculous store with everything you could ever want. Including... the next picture.



That's right capsule toys. Those little vending machines at grocery stores filled with bouncy balls and crap, well they ain't got nothing on this place.



These are arcades. 8 story arcades, overflowing with adults. These aren't really kid places. There's smoking, drinking, and naturally some hard core video game playing. Oh Japan.



From the elevator at the hotel I stayed at. The Engrish begins.



This is a Japanese phenomenon. People obey the rules in Japan. Even if nobody is watching. Look at these escalators. You line up, single file, on the left side so people running up them can pass you. This happened everywhere. Its a small thing but it gives you an idea of the mentality in this country. Compare that with Americans ascending levels...



Naturally I had to go here. I wouldn't be a Japanophile if I didn't. And it was awesome.



And yes, that's Sephy. In the floor.

More to come. Like Harajuku. Huzzah!

3 comments:

Em said...

Is "robby" enrish for "lobby" or is it some other term?

My favorite pictures are: the hybrid picture...it leaves me hungry to see another degree, and the escalator picture...seriously impressive.

Lisa said...

I can't remember if I yelled at you yet for getting me addicted to Crystal Defenders, which led to me putting it on my iPod Touch, which led to me having a Final Fantasy based game. Which makes me an even bigger dork than I already was.

Thanks for that.

Rachel said...

Looks like a fun trip....except for the whole "sea weed wrapped rice balls with fish" - that sounds horrid. Whenever my in-laws come and visit they bring all sorts of things like dried squid packed in snack size portions {like the asian version of the 100 calorie pack of cookies?} and other foods that make my stomach turn. I think if I ever make it over there I'll have take a suitcase of food with me :)