12 May 2010

Guess Who's Back?

My life has freed up, a bit. And thus, I will present, for your viewing pleasure, some images from the first production I worked on this last year. I will post the Opera images shortly after this.

Time and the Conways - A play that takes place both in 1919 and in 1938, watching the progression of a British family over these years. There are two notes I have about this show. 1) I can't stand the set color. It's a bit outta control. 2) The styles of women's dress in general during 1919 were the most bizarre collection of things you can imagine. It was right after the war, smack dab between Edwardian and the Roaring Twenties, and no definite style had been set. These dresses I designed are all accurate pieces that both fit the characters, and would fall into this year, but believe me when I tell you the range of this year is incredible. Most of my budget went to these dresses because we had to build all of them. It is not an easily stocked era. Also, many of these photos are from dress rehearsal, so the looks are not completely perfect (i.e. steamed, or wrong undergarments, etc). Still, enjoy.


1919 - Kay (the dreamer)


1919 - Joan ("such a foolish girl")


1919 - Hazel ("the pretty one")


1919 - Mrs. Conway ("I love all my children, even the silly ones")


1919 - Madge (a most unfortunate name)


1938 Hazel (in my favorite dress of the show) and Alan, the sad home-body brother.


1938 - Kay the Journalist, Robin the alcoholic schemer (in a gorgeous, actual vintage late 30's suit), and poor depressed Joan.


1938 - Madge, bitter girl's school matron


1938 - Mrs. Conway in, as the actress called it, her "Edwardian Snuggie." The script mentions that Mrs. C is still wearing Edwardian period clothes, which is funny since she's wearing clothing from an earlier period than when the play starts. Ah well. This balanced nicely with the color scheme though.

And there's some highlights for you kids. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Capree said...

Oh man, that dress of Hazel's was my favorite, too! I'd totally wear it. :)

Jiles The Great said...

Love, love, love it. I wish I'd made it to that one...

Lisa said...

Ooh, where'd you find the 1930s suit? And love the blue print dress! Also Kay's suit, did you build that?

Em said...

Did I already tell you that you really did a phenomenal job?

I guess I should scratch Madge off the short list of names for our next child?