27 March 2016

Shoutout to My Word-Smithing Homies

Today, for my short weekend thought, I am giving it up for my writing group.  We decided to form this a year (or two?) ago and it has been one of the best things to happen to me as far as writing is concerned.  Having the evaluation of your peers is great - I can immediately temp how what I've written is going over.  Things that make sense in my head don't always on the page and the feedback is incredible.  Their advice has been really useful to this revision process.

More than that however is simply that having our monthly meeting has helped pushed me to write more.  I've elevated my writing from a once-a-month hobby to several times a week, knowing that we would get together and discuss it.  It's a little bit of pressure, but good in my case.  I don't like sending subpar stuff out (which, let's face it, will happen anyway; the purpose of a writing group is to help improve the writing - an unnecessary endeavor if it all flows perfect the first time) so I work harder on it than I would otherwise.  

An additional bonus is that we are all such different writers, it is thrilling to read their works and find yourself getting sucked into stories you had no idea were coming.  My writing group is made up of very talented people.  Also we're pretty fun.  And funny.  Unlike your writing group (Oh damn! I just threw down!)  I love it and so grateful to be part of it.  Here's a big thanks to you peeps.

No comments: