06 November 2008

Much Too Much!

I'm drowning here. At least, it sure seems that way, in all the creative energy that has exploded lately. I think its time we play "What does Peter do with his leisure time?"

Let's start with this though: I hate my job. Just for the record, should you know of a job opening which involves a more satisfying and creative output than my current one, please let me know. I'm desperate.

Because I hate my job, I spend my free time in pursuits I like to refer to as "projects." I have a lot of projects, and I'm not kidding here. Too many that I'm trying to accomplish right now. And currently I think I'm sinking. I know this isn't perhaps interesting to you viewers out there (if there are any), but it is on my mind and I'm freaking out. Here's a small list, with pictures!

NaNoWriMo - quite possibly the lead weight around my ankle. I've been wanting to write a book for years now, and have the plotline mapped and everything. Its a guilty pleasure, a fantasy novel that I've constructed out of anger to the conventional fantasy running around, though mostly its birth came from some cool ideas I've worked through for far too long. It needs to be on paper. I thought this would be a good way to start it, and instead it is reminding me that perfection is unattainable when one is supposed to write 50,000 words in a month.

Photobucket

Costuming - I enjoy costuming. Check my facebook, myspace, or cosplay for the pictures of things I've done. Currently I'm working on:

- Judge Gabranth: a character with imposing armor from Final Fantasy XII, I couldn't help but want to make him. Some of my homies joined the fray to create some of the other characters (and collect the whole set!), but as of yet, none of us have finished. Mine is a seriously complicated fusing of sintra, leather, liquid plastics and mold-making. It'll be great. Someday.

Here's what I'm going for:



Here's where I'm at. Actually I'm farther than this, but this is the most informative picture.



- Black Mage: I got lucky enough to have an awesome costuming class in which we build chain mail, screenprint, and all sorts of random stuff. In a failed attempt to finish a halloween costume a week before, I decided a black mage from an old school game would be easy, and started making the wizard hat in class. The robes and all that have yet to come, but currently the hat is on its way and looking fantastic.

Photobucket

- Jacket: Screenprinting took off with me. Its really fun and has all sorts of potentials. So I dreamt up jacket and decided to make it. I drafted the pattern, created all the designs to be screenprinted onto it, and with my brother's help at his screen printing facilities, am making an awesome jacket. Here's the progress thus far:

Photobucket

Also:
-Designing costumes for Short Experimental Film (to be shot next semester)
-Create the latex mask from the negative I've already cast of the Valtiel face I sculpted. Don't ask.
Photobucket
-Finishing the Riddler Jacket
-Adding matching boot covers to the gauntlets and photographing the Ringwraith outfit


Screenplay: Its called Phoenix, it's on it's third draft, and it's a dark film my mother would never go see. I guess being raised on a steady diet of Disney and Anne of Green Gables does that to you.

Short Horror Film: Not totally updated, but we're near completion. You can at least get the back info on this from the SHit Blog, in my links.

Photobucket

Her Majesty's Secret Raisin Service: My roomie Amanda and I dabble in the exciting world of music. Surprisingly, it takes us longer to write songs than they show on television shows about music artists. In TV world a multi-platinum song can be whipped out in fifteen minutes, start to release party finish. Turns out in real life, its a lot harder. While our music tends to have a surreal element to it, and play with all sorts of ridiculous styles and transitions, we're getting better and you can expect that if not for Christmas, sometime in the next year you'll get a copy. And you'll love it. That is, if you want one. And you probably don't.

Murder Mysteries: I've fallen off the band wagon. I have three different ones, with three different formats I've been kicking around and want to pull out the stops with production on one for my birthday this coming year. Its a good year for murder, I think. The others were a success but I want to keep improving!

Photobucket

Oh and lest you think I've forgotten the documentary of the previous games, I haven't. Its in various stages of completion on my computer. The editing is a bit tough and there's far too much footage of the interviews I did to wade through. Alas... such is the price.

This is a partial list - the top of my list, list, and unfortunately not exhaustive. Its just that I have so much I want to be doing. Instead of writing this blog, for example. So if I'm slow at updating it, I apologize. Maybe I'll have more time when I quit my job and spend the next 2-3 months doing nothing but skiing and playing video games. Sounds like an ideal set up to me.

4 comments:

Em said...

You still at macaroni grill? Why don't you try hosting mini-murder mysteries for your tables? It could liven things up for you, and I'm sure the patrons would appreciate the bonus to their otherwise uneventful meal. You could even go in costume. Think about the possibilities!

PS, I want a copy of your song for Christmas...or epiphany...or groundhogs day. Whenever it's done. Totally want to hear it.

Good luck with your many projects. Maybe someday you'll have time to read this comment.

Rachel said...

I like em's idea of starting a business hosting murder mysteries! You're incredibly creative and your mystery parties are always a hit.

I personally could never work for someone, I have to be the boss. I'm way too stubborn and opinionated to be told what to do.

Lisa said...

Yeah, craft private murder mysteries for hire. Costume advising for an additional fee. Do it . . .

NaNoWriMo has been delayed for me due to losing my wallet (containing my driver's license, insurance card, and a credit card - not to mention the cash. Dammit.) Anyway, I want you to send your stuff on Google docs! I'm going to enlist Will for my war effort soon.

I can't remember what else I was going to say. Oh yes - I read your blog. It is fun.

Jiles The Great said...

I miss you and I love you and I'll call you this week. Got your message (last week, was it?) and I'm sorry I didn't call back--Jacob was sick, then I was sick, then we took a last minute trip to Disneyland and got back about an hour ago. So I will call you soon. Lunch is so long overdue it's not even funny. Not that it would be if it wasn't overdue--it's just not at all humorous, really.