17 November 2008

Think Torchwood is Hiring?

You know - and I know - that I'm a geek.  It just happened somewhere along the road in my 26 years of life.  But I'm also at a point to appreciate that everyone, in one way or another, is also a geek.  My sister and I used to be the biggest Trekkies growing up.  And while many wouldn't, and might not still admit it, I'm surprised how many others out there enjoyed the same guilty pleasure.  You couldn't fess up such things in high school though.  

I've long since left that high school micro-verse where people are relegated to a role and a function in the social structure and pretty much stuck with it.  

Thank god I'm done with high school.

Besides, a lot of loser-ish things turn vogue when you're older. Like intelligence.  Or video games.  Or 80's inspired apparel, although that's not my favorite, unless done in a unobtrusive way.  Subtlety counts for something too.  

Anyway, I'm probably a bigger dork now, though definitely one with no shame about it.  Luckily I think I'm also a bit more of a sophisticated dork; that is, I appreciate a more artistic aspect of dorkdom.  I think.  That might be self delusion.  The reason I bring this up is because I just finished watching season two of Torchwood.  


Photobucket

A BBC series, and in fact a spin off of Doctor Who.  I know what you're thinking if you've ever seen the old series.  This was an update and renewal of the cult-followed original series.  I was turned off by the corniness of the old one, but have come to love the newest incarnation.  It may be aimed at a younger audience, and thus rather innocent, but it is too much fun to be ignored either.  And while I discovered Torchwood first, and became instantly hooked, I moved slowly into Doctor Who because of my former prejudice with the old show.  

Both of them compliment each other, but Torchwood drops a lot of the camp and takes a much darker and much more adult tone.  There is something that resonates with me, and a strange unease that I can't shake from the bleak outlook the show has - people saving a world that is problematic, unappreciative, and hopeless. The characters are fantastic, screwed up, and a little too realistic at times for such an odd Sci-Fi and drama hybrid.  The writing is superb and witty.  I can't lie: I'm a total geek for this show. 

I'm finished gushing.  Watch it if you're remotely interested.  What I am amazed by, however, is how different the British narrative is than traditional U.S. stuff.  Firstly, american audiences are apparently into the spectacle when it comes to genre pieces.  The focus for something in the science fiction realm tends to be all the digital imagery, usually hinged on some interesting, but hardly encompassing idea.   A show like Torchwood eschews favoring the special effects (which are not bad, but oft-times obviously digital) instead bringing the human dynamic to the forefront. Imperfect characters surviving both physically and emotionally in an imperfect world are the crux of the series.  They just happen to also fight aliens. Episodes almost always comment upon the state of humanity, as well as assess the mistakes and the divinities of individuals.  

I might nod to those that enjoyed Buffy the Vampire Slayer series (of which I am a recent convert).  While not exactly the same, the writing is in the same vein.

I also have to say, because it is impossible not to if you read any reviews of the series, that the show is progressive, if nothing else, in its approach to sexuality.  Whereas Doctor Who barely even broaches the subject, it falls at the forefront of Torchwood.  These characters are almost pansexual, particularly one character who is interested in anything he finds attractive - men, women, or alien alike.   The brits aren't afraid to show anything, and treat all manners of sexuality as nothing shocking or abnormal.  The people in this show - and apparently the makers of it - have moved to a future that is quite comfortable with itself in *ahem* any sexual position.  Its refreshing to see, when most networks and programs in the U.S. are mortified of alienating audiences and therefore pander to the lowest common demographic of acceptance and tolerance. As if we can't appreciate anything if its not served up in a perfect, discriminatorily correct, My Name is Earl fashion.  Taboos are fine in American television, as long as its the right taboos.  Extreme violence, graphic straight sex, and mostly stereotypic gay or even ethnic characters.  

I know that no country is perfect, but I am impressed with other nations' social progress compared to our own in some ways. We seem to be on the shorter end of that stick.  At any rate, I'm sad that I now have to wait for season 3, a season which is to be more a mini-series than anything.  Alas, something is better than nothing.  

In the meantime, maybe Torchwood is hiring.  I could use an exciting, encompassing, likely-to-kill-you-at-a-young-age day job.


Photobucket

6 comments:

Jiles The Great said...

I love that you've embraced your inner geek. I think my obsession with LOTR (ya know, seeing Fellowship 10 times in the theater and stuff) was when I realized that everyone is geeky about something. Thank goodness for me, it was something cool (hahahaha j/k).
Seriously though, this Torchwood sounds interesting. If I can find it, I'll check it out.

Humanjunk said...

I embrace your inner geek too Peter. I find it exceedingly charming.

Fish Nat!on said...

dear peter. can i borrow watchmen, so that i can be properly prepared for the nerdgasm that will be the motion picture?

love, fish

Petey said...

yes, dear fish, of course you can.

Em said...

5 stars for use of the word "pansexual." It's my absolute favorite words as it is not commonly used, and hence not as tainted with prejudice stereotypes, and at least in my mind associated with sexual attraction in more of a Utopian society, and if this show is as sexually progressive as you say, then pansexual should describe it beautifully.

And there's some of my geekiness coming through. Words are fun.

And if I get a chance to watch Torchwood I will. There's a good probability that I'll never get a good enough chance but hey, at least I'm on the lookout.

Lisa said...

Dude.

FIREFLY.

Also, my word verification is "seperm."

*giggle* I'm embracing my inner six year old!!!