12 March 2010

One Note Soliloquy

Okay, I'm just gonna come out and say it:

I want to start a board game group. Or club. Or coterie.

Although it can certainly involve card games too. Though not poker. I'm just not a poker player. We played a H.P. Lovecraft inspired board game, Arkham Horror the other night, (much to the chagrin of Brady, who gave up half way through and left us to die to the dark forces of Yig, though I'm not bitter) (although, I should mention that we did eventually defeat Yig. Go us.) I learned two things from this experience.

1) I really do just like games. Even though I force everyone to play Talisman on a semi-regular basis, it is by no means the end-all-be-all. I am open to playing all manner of board games and would like to play them more often. In fact I'd like other people to suggest, bring and teach us new games.

2) Arkham Horror, and others no doubt, require upkeep. Despite being ridiculously overcomplicated (monsters, horrific dimensions and bank loans, oh my!) it was actually quite fun. But now that we've taken the 2 hours or so to obtain a rough working knowledge of the game's rules, we need to play it again lest it all drains out of our pea-brains.

Oh the Horror! Do you see the number of pieces to this game?!?

Hence, I am led to the this conclusion: Monthly, or bi-monthly, if I could get my way, a select group (read: pretty much anyone who is willing, which seems to fluctuate) will gather to play a game. Likely this would be a Sunday, since that seems easiest for most people. The game could be selected by one member of the Coterie, and really doesn't have a limit, although time constructs ought to be discussed. Bring anything from Apples to Apples to Descent Into Darkness. We'll try it all!

Sound fun? Sound intriguing? Wish you were a part of this still-to-be-officially-named gaming group? Well, all you need is a bit of patience, an enjoyment of social board games, a penchant for trying new things, and a willingness to die for your country. Actually, that last part probably isn't necessary unless you're joining the Marines. On a random note, the Marines did petition me recently, via postcard. "Congrats, you're graduating! Now do some real learning and joing the military!" Um, no thanks. Especially not after I've graduated and you're not going to pay for my schooling.

Right, so... let me know if you're interested. Honestly, I don't know if there are enough people who read this/would be intrigued enough to consider making game night a regular thing. But if so, speak up. If nothing else, there's always a lot of terrible-for-you snack foods to enjoy and plenty of inebriation, which seems to work out as an advantage for the non-drinkers.

Our Board Game Group

Or at least what I picture our group looking like. Maybe with more men. And fewer bikinis. And cowboy hats. Although if you wanna wear your cowboy hat, feel free. I don't judge. Much. Of course, if I mandate that we all dress up like our Talisman characters, who knows, we really could come out looking like these tramps. And doesn't that look fun?

11 comments:

Capree said...

I will join your board game group, but only if I'm allowed to wear chaps and a turquoise bikini... to every meeting.

Petey said...

Done. You are officially our first skank-a-licious member. Good on ya'!

Capree said...

I promise to walk around like I have to take a giant dump, too. I'm not wearing that damn cowboy hat, though. That's just too much.

Petey said...

Well, no naturally not, because you'll be busy wearing the Crown of Command instead. Once we find one suitable for the game (or a drag competition) of course.

Capree said...

You can bet your balls I'll be wearing the Crown of Command. Chainsaw Warrior be damned!

Petey said...

Oooh... diss... You hear that Chainsaw Warrior? The smackdown be comin'!

Capree said...

Tha's right. Chainsaw Warrior betta watch herself.

Court Clark / DJ Sparque said...

My ex would totally be up for that. Too bad you're all the way in Utah.

Jennie said...

You are so mean posting something like this when you know full well that I'm in Oregon and therefore will never be able to participate.

I hate you.

Ok, not really.

But you need to come to Oregon. We'll play tons of games! Paul and I have discovered lots of new ones to obsess over lately.

Petey said...

Court and Jennie-
Too bad I'm in Utah. Truer sentiments could never be uttered.

Jiles The Great said...

AHEM...the chainsaw warrior has spoken, and she says: I wore the crown of command (although we still need to go to BK and get one...) and KILLED all your asses. The result speaks for itself. Just saying... ;-)