28 March 2010

Silence for my Headspace

Is it possible to live tending to only the things you enjoy without the constructs other people placed upon you? On one hand, the automatic answer is an emphatic "no." No matter what you choose to pursue in your life there are always other people to keep happy, deals to make and compromises to strike. You take the good with the bad, and hope the good ultimately outweighs the other.

But another part of me whispers that's not true, not really. This idea is propagated because everyone else has been subjugated to this mentality, and if you look away from it, you're ridiculed as foolish and a n'ere-do-well spending their time unwisely. It is plausible to think outside the box and do whatever the hell you want, whatever makes you happy.

I feel this may be true too. Don't we limit ourselves? Isn't our potential usually capped by our own mental frailties? But what is most frightening to me is what that course of action embraces as a philosophy. If I turn my back on the system that we deem necessary, that means I feel it is beyond hope, even as a framework to build within. And if that's true, then all the individuals tied to it are simply extensions of that ideological prison. And hence, my motives become purely selfish, uninterested in providing something meaningful to anyone except myself. And that provides all sorts of conundrums, theoretically speaking. From the introduction of my actions being in a vacuum to existential questions like defining oneself without external parameters to measure by.

It's a mess. The plain fact is that I'm exhausted listening to others tell me how my life ought to be unfolding; family, teachers, friends, mentors, bosses, corporations, and media... all of it letting me know whether I'm wasting my time and on track for failure. Basically that's the crux of it, this Sunday afternoon. How are you?

1 comment:

Cajsa said...

Do what is in your heart. That is all that matters.