05 March 2009

Revolutionary

Today things are already looking greener in NC. The freak snow storm
that dumped on them before we arrived is melting away into deep greens
and thick forested underbrush. It makes me sad that Utah is so
woefully short on wooded areas. Yeah, I know it's a desert. And yeah I
know we like to over-develop anything along I-15 and have no respect
for open spaces or anything that doesn't turn a profit... But I digress.

Anyway we filled yesterday with visits to Eljon, a city containing
Will's best childhood memories, seeing faces from his past and
reminiscing. Sesquicentennial State Park was particularly beautiful
and Will pointed out the numerous magnolia trees and palmettos the
area is known for.

We finished the day in Camden, oldest inland city in SC and the site
of British occupation during the Revolution. It was dusk when we
stumbled on the Kershaw House, where the British commanders set up
their headquarters for the area. It was closed but interesting and
beautiful nonetheless.

Today we're off to Augusta after a brief stop at Shealy's for some
hardcore BBQ. So far my only regret is that Carowinds is closed until
April. Alas.

3 comments:

Jiles The Great said...

Ahhhhh, I love South Carolina. I was in Charleston for approximately 24 hours and it was just long enough to completely convince me I could live there and love it. It's so beautiful, rich in history and of course, the food is great. So jealous. I'm glad you guys are having a good time!

Carla said...

That sucks that Carowinds is closed, It's a fun park. Glad you're enjoying the south though!

Meagan M. Downey said...

Carowinds was super awesome. It is no Disneyland, but I had the best time when I went. Except that it was 150 degrees with 300% humidity. No photos remain from excursion. I'm glad you are there in the winter/spring. Tell Will hello for me.