17 March 2009

To Rant or Not to Rant

This is always the problem with writing blogs a few days later - I planned a rant about moral high ground and the insanely irritating tendency some people display in thinking they always have it. But that energy has petered out and as much fun as it might be to insult or offend people, particularly heavily religious people (who, let's be honest, are often the ones claiming such a position), I'm spent and will limit myself to an extremely short discussion of a subject dear to my heart:

I don't care how much money they make, whether they prefer ebonics, or if rappers just aren't creative enough to come up with actual lyrics, the fact remains:

CONVERSATE IS NOT A WORD. Nor is any form thereof. You are not conversating, on the phone or anywhere else. You converse. In fact, what's worse is that the legitimate word is even shorter than the derelict version. Which means that rappers are either trying to be stylistic, or really in need of grammar lessons.

Anyway, that's all. Rant completed.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Uh oh. Lisa's going to be disappointed. ;)

Em said...

That wasn't so offensive. =( But I am inspired to try and use the non-word "conversate" at least three times today.

Carla said...

ha ha i love you, and i agree with em, now i feel the need to start using conversate just to mock our society

Archana said...

Hey there, just randomnly came across your blog and I couldn't help but laugh over this post. You're so right, there are one too many words rappers create - - but hey, sometimes it just kind of works with the music.

When it comes to rap or hiphop, I tune out the lyrics and enjoy the beat. Because if I was to actually sit down and listen to every sentence, I'd have to turn it off.